Personal Safety for Frontline Employees
Did you know that WorkSafe BC’s Occupational Health and Safety Regulations require employers to provide a work environment that not only eliminates the risk of violence for workers but also instructs them on how to handle potential violent circumstances appropriately and effectively?
How confident are you and your employees dealing with potentially high-risk individuals on the frontline?
Threats to personal safety, real or perceived, have a real impact on your employees' productivity. These situations create stress and anxiety that often manifests itself in physical illness and lost time. And, if your employees feel at risk, it's likely that many of your customers feel the same way. Ensuring that your frontline employees are adequately trained and prepared to deal with and respond to difficult individuals helps to minimize the costs associated with employee and customer anxiety.
Learn to deal with difficult individuals and situations more confidently. JIBC’s Personal Safety Training (PST) program provides you and your employees with the basic tools and techniques, used by justice and public safety professionals, to effectively diffuse threatening situations.
Personal safety is integral to organizational and public safety. This program covers a range of topics, including how to safely and professionally communicate with an aggravated, unpredictable or aggressive customer or patient; and how to safely travel to and from work. While the main focus of this workshop is your personal safety while at work, you and your family can also apply the techniques explored during this session to everyday activities and situations.
This workshop focuses on ways to enhance your personal safety while performing your day-to-day duties. Intuitive techniques used by police and corrections officers, sheriffs, conflict resolution practitioners and others working in close proximity to high-risk individuals, are explored and applied to your specific work situation. You will be guided through work-related exercises and scenarios, of your own design.
JIBC’s Personal Safety Training program:
- Exposes you to the techniques and strategies used by justice and public safety professionals in dealing with troubled and troublesome people
- Increases your confidence in the area of personal safety and demonstrates the importance of awareness and prevention
- Provides a forum for you to talk, learn and experience issues related to not only your own safety but to those around you.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to understand the philosophy of personal safety training and its three major components - awareness, prevention and defence.
- Understand the legal context of personal safety and self-defence.
- Consider the cycle and relation of Perception and Behaviour when dealing with people.
- Apply and Understand the Communication Model and Transactional Analysis in relation to effective communication.
- Understand the human response to conflict and danger
- Recognize escalating conflict and crisis management
- Consider the conceptual framework for assessing situations for personal safety
- examine the safety of your personal workspace and surroundings
- Understand the relationship of emotions and stress: concentrating on Anger and Aggression
- Apply the Bystander Intervention Model to Personal Safety at work
- Practice assertive disengagement
- A Practical application: Using the body's natural movements, practice techniques that will allow for escape from potentially harmful situations.
Last updated May 12, 2017