Advanced Care Paramedic
The Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) Advanced Diploma Program responds to the continuing growth and evolution of today’s healthcare needs.
Please note the next application period has been changed to June 18, 2018 to July 31, 2018 for the program starting September 2019 at the New Westminster campus. The 2019 Kelowna intake has been cancelled due to operational requirements.
There have been recent changes to Admission Requirements starting with this intake. See below for details.
"The Future is Bright for ACPs"
Go to our Facebook page to read what Joe Acker, BCEHS Director,
Patient Care Delivery for the Vancouver and Coastal Districts, says about
the future of ACPs in BC.
The ACP Program trains students to think critically, solve problems, and function as leaders while providing the highest possible standards of patient care.
Program courses focus on the following themes:
- Clinician Skills
critical thinker, problem solver, leader, effective communicator
- Inter-professional Collaboration
working collaboratively with other health professionals in the patient’s best interest
taking a leadership role in the workplace, practice and the community
- Life-Long Learning
continuously seeking and embracing knowledge
- Community-Based Emergency Health
understanding differing health care environments
- Science & Delivery of EMS
This program meets or exceeds the National Occupational Competencies as established by the Paramedic Association of Canada, and is accredited by Accreditation Canada.
Admission to the Advanced Care Paramedic Program is competitive based on availability of seats, completion of admission criteria, and applicant ranking as determined by a process of selective admission evaluation. The JIBC ACP program has recently made changes to its admission requirements which will see the requirement of a Diploma or equivalent by the year 2021. Over the next 3 years, additional courses will be introduced and required using a phased approach, which are outlined below.
JIBC General Requirements:
- Grade 12 Graduation (or equivalent) or mature student (25 years or older)
- English 12 / English 12 First Peoples (Grade C) or equivalent
ACP Program Specific Requirements:
- PCP Certification with minimum of one year PCP work experience at time of application deadline
- IV Insertion License Endorsement or Training Certificate
- Current CPR for Healthcare Provider (HCP) certification
- The following courses are required to enter the ACP Program
For the 2019 application intake, you may apply and be given a conditional offer prior to taking or completing these courses, however all must be completed with the required grade prior to the start of the ACP program, otherwise you will lose your place.
- JIBC ENGL-1100 Academic Writing (Grade C)
- JIBC BIOL-2203 Human Anatomy & Physiology (Grade C)
- JIBC HLSC-2214 Pathophysiology (Grade C)
- JIBC HLSC-2215 Principles of Pharmacology (Grade C)
- JIBC *HLSC-2216 Professional Practice: Evidence-based Practice (Grade C) - New for 2019
- JIBC *CRES-1150 Theoretical Foundations of Dispute Resolution (Pass) - New for 2019
Courses offered each semester are listed in the Upcoming Course Offerings document.
Applicants who have successfully completed equivalent courses may apply for a review of those courses to meet the admission requirements for entry into the ACP Program. Click here for Course Equivalency Table.
For the 2020 program intake, upon application you must have completed all the above courses with the required grade prior to being accepted, including two additional courses below:
For the 2021 program intake, upon application you must have completed all the above courses with the required grade prior to being accepted, including three additional courses below:
OR: - The Diploma in Health Sciences (EMS) or Equivalent
Final Requirements - Upon acceptance to the program you will be required to provide the following:
- Criminal Record Check (CRC) from the Criminal Records Review Program (RCMP check is NOT acceptable). Click here for how to obtain your CRC.
- Completed Immunization Checklist Form - The BC Health Authority immunization requirements are different from the BCEHS employee immunization requirements. Click here for Immunization FAQs.
- Check for program application deadline dates.
- Submit the Online Program Application Form on Education Planner BC
- Prepare your ACP Document Submission Form and submit this form along with your documents in person or by mail or email by application deadline to:
Justice Institute of British Columbia
Admissions Office (Student Services Centre)
715 McBride Boulevard
New Westminster, BC V3L 5T4
View the application package for the EMA Education Fund Award and information on other financial assistance.
Candidates who have met admission requirements will be invited to complete two assessment elements:
- Medical Knowledge Test
- Panel Interview
Medical Knowledge Test
This online test will assess a candidate's level of knowledge relative to the Primary Care Paramedic knowledge needed for entering the ACP Program. You will be provided with access to the Candidate Assessment Online Campus which also contains some practice quizzes to help you prepare.
Some of the job dimensions for an Advanced Care Paramedic include:
- Critical Thinking and Learning Motivation
- Maturity and Self-awareness
- Work Standards and Initiative
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Planning and Organizing Skills, and
- Stress Tolerance
Short-listed candidates will be invited to attend a 20-30 minute interview where we will discuss your application, interest, and suitability for the ACP Program.
Extra consideration will be given to those students for the following:
- Completion of all courses required for admission
- Completion of JIBC Diploma in Health Sciences (EMS) or an equivalent level of post-secondary education
- PCP experience/patient contacts
- Volunteer experience within the last 2 years (must be supported by a reference letter from the organization)
20 months / 3 terms
Teaching and Learning Methodologies
The blended delivery approach includes:
- Guided online learning activities
- Facilitated discussions
- Guided independent study
- Classroom sessions
- Practical workshops
- High-fidelity simulations
Students will have practice education placements each term which includes hospitals and on-ambulance rotations which will take place in major centres around the province.
All ambulance practice education shifts take place on BCEHS Advanced Life Support units with ACP Preceptors. This provides a valuable opportunity to learn and work within the BCEHS targeted response model.
The Advanced Care Paramedic courses are taught by senior practitioners who combine academic theory with current experience in the field. Most of these instructors have graduate degrees or equivalent credentials in a related field (e.g. ACP, RN or MD), while others have completed an Emergency Services Instructor Training (ESIT) program. Many have completed additional certification in adult education, such as the Provincial Instructor Diploma.
ACP graduates will be able to:
- Meet the ACP competencies and the entry-to-practice requirements as an Advanced Care Paramedic
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills and attitudes in areas such as use of advanced technology, pre-hospital care clinical decision-making, current treatment methodologies and pharmacology
- Work collaboratively in interprofessional environments
- Function as leaders by utilizing effective problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Act as patient advocates while maintaining the highest possible standards in patient care
Advanced Care Paramedic - Term 1
Health and Wellness
Foundations of Paramedic Practice
|Classic Cases - Respiratory & Cardiovascular|| |
|Clinical Practice Education I|| |
Advanced Care Paramedic - Term 2
Classic Cases - Trauma
Health Care in Communities
Classic ACP Cases II
Clinical Practice Education II
Advanced Care Paramedic - Term 3
Complex ACP Cases
Clinical Practice Education III
Total tuition for the program is approximately $16,300.00
This amount is payable in instalments over the three terms as follows:
|Learner Service Fee||$142.80|
|Learner Service Fee||$102.81|
|Learner Service Fee||$68.54|
Note: Tuition Fees effective April 1, 2018. All fees are subject to change without prior notice.
Application fees & program deposit ($500) are non-refundable and non-transferable in any circumstances.
If a student withdraws prior to the start of an ACP Program term they receive a 100% refund less deposit of that terms tuition.
If a student withdraws within the first two weeks of an ACP Program term they will be eligible for 80% refund less deposit of that terms tuition.
After the first two weeks in any term there is no refund of tuition paid for that term.
StudentAid BC may be available to supplement your own financial resources to help you reach your educational goals.
Students may also be eligible for other forms of assistance, such as the Emergency Medical Assistant (EMA) Education Fund Award and we encourage all students to apply.
Textbooks & Uniform
Once you have been accepted to the program, you will be given information about purchasing uniforms and textbooks.
Throughout the ACP Program you will be documenting skills, simulations and patient contacts on electronic Patient Care Records in both the classroom and practice education environments. The program will be evaluating student competency and performance through the use of CompTracker, our competency management system. Students are required to have either an Apple iPad or Android tablet during the program to support the use of this system.
There may be times when students will need to travel outside their region for practice education shifts. Students must be prepared to accept the financial cost of travel and living expenses associated with attendance at these shifts.
Exam Retest Fees
If a student does not demonstrate that they have met an acceptable standard in a program exam component, they may be provided an opportunity to retest. An examination fee of $150 will be charged for each practical exam and $75 for each OSCE retest. Only one retest per each exam component is allowed.
Last updated July 5, 2018