The First Responder (FR) course is about saving lives.
Visit the First Responder course catalogue using this link PARA-1004 and enroll yourself in one of our course offerings. #
Participants will acquire the life-saving skills and knowledge to perform patient care to the public until the arrival of the ambulance. Examples include fire departments, police, safety and security personnel at sporting events, staff in recreation facilities, and staff in special care facilities to name a few.
You or your organization may be faced with dealing with a medical or traumatic emergency while waiting for an ambulance to arrive; knowing what to do in that first few minutes of an emergency can make a difference between life and death.
In this entry level course students will acquire a full complement of basic skills to prepare them for carrying out all critical life-saving duties as a First Responder Provider.
Must be at least 16 years of age. It is recommended that students have a grade 10 English level.
Full attendance in class is mandatory for the completion of this course.
- This course is offered at the following JIBC campuses Maple Ridge, New Westminster, Chilliwack, Kelowna and Victoria. In addition, we offer this course in other locations throughout BC at other post secondary institutions, colleges and private facilities. Check the catalogue for scheduled dates and locations.
- The PARA-1004 can also be offered through contract training. The Paramedic Academy will work with organizations and arrange all the details of the course and deliver the training where and when the organization wants. Organizations should contact the First Responder Program at email@example.com.
Dates and Times
This course is offered Monday - Saturday (6 days) from 8:30am - 4:30pm.
Students are assessed and coached throughout the course. Formal evaluations are as follows:
- One practical medical or spinal exam, CPR/AED practical
- Final comprehensive written exam (including CPR/AED): 75 multiple choice questions
Upon successful completion of the FR students will receive a Canadian Red Cross First Responder BLS certificate (valid 3 years).
As well you will receive licensure from the Emergency Medical Assistant Licensing Board.
Students are given an opportunity to do retests should they be unsuccessful in their final exams.
- Canadian Red Cross Emergency Care 2018 Manual
ISBN: 978-1-58480-698-1 (see store for cost)
- Canadian Red Cross Basic Life Support Field Guide 2018
It is important that all students complete the Emergency Care Workbook and bring it with them to class day 1. There is no mark associated with this, the workbook is designed to prepare the student for final written examinations.
In-class portion of the first responder is primarily skills-based.
The EMALB (Emergency Medical Assistant Licensing Board) has preparation handout for students to study for the EMA licensing exam. Please read through prior to attending class.
As well, please find additional resource available for FR students to use in class:
PARA-1004 First Responder
- Domestic tuition: $584.63
- Learner Services Fee: $17.47
Textbooks are NOT included in tuition and must be purchased separately through JIBC bookstore in New Westminster.
Tuition and mandatory fees are subject to an annual 2% increase every April 1. See the catalogue for the official listed price.
Continuing Studies Courses (Refund Policy-3210–003)
- If a student withdraws 7 calendar days prior to the beginning of the course they receive a 100% refund;
- Withdrawal with less than 7 calendar days from the start of the course are not eligible for tuition refund;
- Some courses may have non-refundable tuition, application, and/or material fees (this will be identified at the time of registration).
Please advise the JIBC of your disability when you register. It is your responsibility to intiate contact with the Manager of Student Learning Supports and Disability Resources who will work with you to determine the services for which you are eligible and to assist you in setting up an academic plan.
Last updated April 9, 2019