Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate
Grow your career in business continuity, emergency management or security with an applied, professional-level certificate from Canada’s leading public safety educator.
- View the 2018/2019 course schedule.
- View the 2018/2019 course schedule by course code.
- To register for courses, go to the JIBC Webadvisor portal and click on 'Register and Pay for Continuing Studies' to search for course codes.
- JIBC's course codes have changed - search here for the new course codes.
- Track your progress in the program with a Student Progress Report.
Gain the right skills to take on Exercise Design specialist roles in Emergency Management, Business Continuity and Security.
You could soon join the many graduates of our Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate Program who are working for public and private organizations in roles such as Exercise Design Specialist, Emergency Planner, Emergency Program Coordinator or Business Continuity Planner.
This online certificate features applied learning and real-life scenarios delivered by experienced career practitioners. This means you will be well prepared with the knowledge, skills and abilities to lead your organization’s exercise design programs – and take your career in public safety to the next level.
Have a Course Delivered at Your Location
- Contract Training: Want an Exercise Design course delivered at your location? Visit our government and corporate training page.
The Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate is an applied professional-level certificate appropriate for:
- Current emergency management, public safety and first response professionals looking to upgrade their skills for career advancement or move into a specialized exercise design role
- Professionals in non-public safety related fields with the need to exercise their training programs
- College or university graduates with a certificate, diploma or degree focused on public safety looking for an applied certificate that will prepare them for a career in emergency management or public safety
- JIBC Emergency Management Certificate, Diploma in Emergency and Security Management, and Bachelor of Emergency and Security Management Studies graduates looking to gain specialized exercise design skills
Designing and delivering small and large scale exercises is a critical component of every emergency management and business continuity program. Exercising is one of the best ways to apply learning and pinpoint important training and resource gaps.
By the end of the Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate Program you will learn the fundamental knowledge and skills required to create and conduct both discussion-based and operations-based exercises – valuable skills for any public safety role.
Discussion-based exercises include:
- Table-top exercises
- Immersive simulations
Operations-based exercises include:
- Functional exercises
- Full-scale exercises
You will also gain proficiency in all five key exercise design phases:
- Design and development
- Improvement planning
Specific Learning Objectives of the Program Include:
- Explain the basic concepts of emergency management exercise design
- List the components of a successful exercise program
- Establish an exercise design team
- Define an exercise scope and exercise objectives
- Outline logistical requirements
- Create exercise documentation and materials
- Describe methods of conduct
- Implement evaluation and improvement practice
As more public and private organizations recognize the importance of exercising their emergency management and business continuity plans, the demand for personnel with specific exercise design expertise is growing. So whether you’re looking to add new skills to your repertoire, or enhance your qualifications to enter this exciting and growing field, now is the right time to complete an Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate from Canada’s leading public safety educator.
The Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate is a 10-credit program designed to be completed on a part-time basis within a three-year period. Courses are offered through a combination of online and in-class offerings. Most courses are one to three days in length and are offered either on weekdays or weekends. Please see our schedule for current course offerings and locations.
We are also able to arrange courses to be delivered in your area upon request if minimum numbers are met. Some courses are also available on a contract basis at your location. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Take an Individual Course
You can take any course in the Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate Program on an individual basis. You do not have to be registered for a certificate program. To register for courses, go to the JIBC WebAdvisor portal and click on 'Register and Pay for Continuing Studies' to search for course codes.
The costs for the 10-credit Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate are on a course-by-course basis and will vary based on the electives chosen by each student. All course materials, including manuals, are included in the course prices. View tuition fees per course.
Please note that international course prices are triple those listed on our website.
The Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate is a part-time 10-credit program. You have up to three years to complete the required and elective course work. To receive your certificate you must complete all courses with a grade of 70% or higher, including the capstone project which is due within three months of completion of all other course credit.
Note that you can take any course in the Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate program on an individual basis. You do not have to be registered for a certificate program. Search course offerings now.
Please note certificates of completion are not issued at an individual course level. To demonstrate completion of a course, students use their unofficial transcript which can be accessed through the www.myjibc.ca portal.
*Courses are available online.
Required Courses (8 credits)
|Introduction to Emergency Management in Canada*||EMRG-1100||0.5|
|Introduction to Emergency Management Exercise Design*||EMRG-1150||1.0|
|Designing and Conducting Discussion-Based Exercises*||EMRG-1151||1.0|
|Designing Operations-Based Exercises*||EMRG-1152||1.5|
|Conducting Operations-Based Exercises*||EMRG-1153||1.0|
|Emergency Management Exercise Design Capstone Project*||EMRG-1194||2.0|
|Incident Command System Level 100*||EMRG-1200||0.5|
|Introduction to Emergency Operations Centres*||EMRG-1300||0.5|
Elective Courses (choose 2 credits)
|Foundations of Collaborative Conflict Resolution or,||CRES-1100 or||1.5|
|Foundations of Collaborative Conflict Resolution: Workplace Focus||CRES-1101||1.5|
Introduction to Business Continuity Management*
|Incident Command System Level 200 *||EMRG-1220||1.0|
|Incident Command System Level 300 *||EMRG-1230||1.0|
|Emergency Operations Centre Essentials||EMRG-1320||1.0|
|Emergency Operations Centre: Operations Section||EMRG-1330||0.5|
|Emergency Operations Centre Level 3: Planning Function||EMRG-1331||0.5|
|Emergency Operations Centre: Logistics Section*||EMRG-1332||0.5|
|Emergency Operations Centre: Finance Section||EMRG-1333||0.5|
Contract Training: Want an Exercise Design course delivered at your location? View our government andcorporate training page.
Minimum grade 12 graduation or equivalent, or at the discretion of the program manager. An official high school or post-secondary transcript must be submitted with your application.
In addition to completing the online application, a letter of intent of approximately 250 words describing why you are interested in the Certificate Program is also required. The letter of intent and transcripts can be sent to the Student Services Centre at:
Justice Institute of British Columbia
715 McBride Boulevard
New Westminster, BC V3L 5T4
Graduates of the Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate program* can expect to apply for positions in emergency management and public safety with:
- Municipal, provincial, regional and federal emergency programs
- Healthcare organizations
- Educational institutions
- International organizations, such as the Red Cross
- Crown corporations
- Private businesses in areas such as transportation, natural resources, gaming, hospitality and recreation
Typical Job Titles could include
- Exercise Design Specialist
- Emergency Program Manager
- Emergency Program Coordinator
- Emergency Planner
- Business Continuity Planner
- Manager, Public Safety
- Director of Emergency Management
*Typically, graduates of the Exercise Design Certificate Program require some work experience or additional education in public safety or a related field prior to applying for the roles above.
Important resources for students in the Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate program are available below:
Questions about our certificate programs and courses? Looks for answers here!
Last updated January 9, 2018