Fire Officer Certificate
You must already have NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level II
in order to receive certification to NFPA 1021
with this certificate.
The Fire Officer Certificate Program covers the four levels of the NFPA 1021 Standard for Fire Officer Professional Qualifications and focuses on the specific competencies of the standard. The program holds dual accreditation from both ProBoard and IFSAC and is Canada's only accredited NFPA I-IV program.
This standards-based program is practical, relevant and interactive with flexible delivery options (face-to-face, on-line and ‘in-house’). The courses within the Certificate Program fall into four concurrent themes - human resource management, incident management, fire service administration and fire service leadership. The content in each level of the Fire Officer Certificate Program will ladder into the higher level allowing for a continuous progression of learning.
The Fire Officer Certificate is designed for experienced fire officers and fire officer candidates who wish to further their careers and move into officer positions.
The goal of the revised Fire Officer Certificate Program is to provide the fire service with a program that:
- meets the requirements of the NFPA 1021 Standard for Fire Officer Professional Qualifications, 2009 version
- is accredited by IFSAC and ProBoard
- provides anywhere, anytime education with varying delivery options (face-to- face, on-line and ‘in-house’)
- is practical, relevant, interactive and prepares students for the job requirements and responsibilities of the varying levels of Fire Officer
- provides a continued education path with laddering into our Bachelor of Fire & Safety Studies.
Courses are offered either online or in a classroom with the exception of Emergency Scene Management and Fire Service Instructor courses which are offered exclusively in a classroom setting.
Click on course titles below for more information about course outline, textbooks and schedules.
Fire Officer I
Prerequisite – certificate from an accredited (ProBoard and/or IFSAC) institution for NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter II
Incident Command System 100
Incident Command System 200
Emergency Scene Management I
Fire Service Administration I
Frontline Leadership in the Fire Service I
Also required for certification: Fire Service Instructor I
Fire Officer II
Prerequisite – certificate from an accredited (ProBoard and/or IFSAC) institution for NFPA 1021 Fire Officer Level I
Incident Command System 300
Emergency Scene Management II
Fire Service Administration II
Frontline Leadership for the Fire Service II
Fire Investigation - Fire Cause & Origin I
Fire Officer III
Prerequisite – certificate from an accredited (ProBoard and/or IFSAC) institution for NFPA 1021 Fire Officer Level II
Leading People I
Community and Organizational Leadership I
Planning and Evaluation I
Incident Command System 400
Fire Officer IV
Prerequisite – certificate from an accredited (ProBoard and/or IFSAC) institution for NFPA 1021 Fire Officer Level III
Leading People II
Community & Organizational Leadership II
|Planning and Evaluation II||FIRE-1144||2|
Books & Supplies
For textbooks see the course outline under the Courses menu above.
Textbooks are available from JIBC Store.
Apply online or submit your completed application form, along with a copy of your IFSAC or ProBoard accredited NFPA1001 certificate and the $75 ($125 for International students) non-refundable application fee by:
Justice Institute of BC Registration Office
715 McBride Boulevard,
New Westminster, BC V3L 5T4
- Once your application has been approved, please register for courses directly with the Student Services Centre at 604.528.5590 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We recommend that you apply at least two months before you wish to take your first class. Once an applicant is accepted, we suggest registering as far as possible before the classes begin as the number of seats is limited.
Please note that JIBC NFPA 1021 Completion Certificates are printed and mailed out to graduates on a quarterly basis. Certificates are produced in January, April, July, and October for students who have completed the program in the relevant preceding three-month period. If you do not receive your certificate, please contact FSD at email@example.com.
Last updated November 30, 2017